Sig Smith Miniplane Bipe Kit 44 Ws .40/45
Historically, the full-scale Smith Miniplane is one of the designs that helped start the modern homebuilding era. Originally designed and built in 1957 by Frank Smith of Fullerton, California, the Miniplane was an early example of engineering with the amateur homebuilder and weekend pilot in mind. It could be constructed with tools easily within reach of the average craftsman, and in the air it was stable and easy to fly. The top wing spanned 17 ft., and the empty weight was a mere 600 pounds. Powered by a 100hp Lycoming, the tiny Miniplane cruised at 120 mph, climbed at a fantastic 2,500 ft. per minute, and was highly aerobatic. It was just what many sportsman pilots were looking for!
R/C Sport Scale BiPlane
In 1974, Glen Sigafoose, then President of Sig Mfg. Co., acquired a complete Smith Miniplane to use for aerobatic practice. Glen's beautiful red, white, and black aircraft was the inspiration for this mini version of the Miniplane.
Outstanding Roll Rate!
This semi-scale model of Glen's Smith Miniplane is a fun flying machine! It's smooth and stable, yet provides plenty of excitement in the aerobatic department. An outstanding roll rate makes for dizzying snap rolls.
- Semi-Symmetrical Airfoil
- Traditional Built-Up Balsa Construction
- Die-Cut Formers and Ribs
- Molded Plastic Cowling
- Molded Plastic Headrest
- Molded Plastic Wheel Pants
- Formed Tailwheel Wire
- Formed Landing Gear Wires
- Formed Wire Cabane Struts
- Engine Mounts
- Hardware Pack
- Authentic Decals
- Full-Size Plans
- Scale 3-View Drawing
- Photo-Illustrated Instruction Book
- Wingspan: 44 in. 1118 mm
- Wing Area: 650 sq. in. 42 dm
- Length: 75.75 in. 1924 mm
- Weight: 5 1/4 lb 2381 g
- Wing Loading: 18.6 oz/ft 5675 g/m
- Length: 40 3/8 in 1026 mm
- Radio Required: 4-Channel
- Recommended Engines: .40 - .45 in (6.6 - 7.4 cm) 2-Stroke
- Our shipping times are typically 24-48hrs from ordering during normal business hours.
- We use a Courier and Australia post as our agents. Please allow typical delivery times for your area.
- International shipping is priced per country, please check your cart before ordering.
- We are unable to ship Dangerous goods overseas.
- We are also limited by length of some parcels. Anything over 1.05m will need a specialist courier quote which we can provide.
- When adding items to your cart you can get a quote for shipping first before commiting to the order.